The ZF5HP24 automatic transmission is a 5-speed transmission that is found in BMWs, Land Rovers, Audis and Jaguars. This automatic transmission debuted in 1996, and (as of 2014) is still in production.
Cracked “A Clutch” Clip
A circlip in the A clutch pack cracks, typically causing a delay going into drive, usually followed by a harsh thud into gear and transmission failsafe mode activation. If caught early enough, simply replacing the clip is a feasible repair, however it is often necessary to replace the entire A clutch, and even overhaul the transmission in cases where the problem has been left for some time.
Reverse Piston Failure
The molded piston that applies reverse gear has a tendency to fail on the ZF5HP24 automatic transmission, losing a portion of the rubber that forms the seal. This causes reverse gear to partially or wholly fail to apply, usually resulting in a loss of reverse gear. As with the above A clutch failure, if caught early enough it may be sufficient to just replace the faulty piston, however leaving the problem can (and usually will) cause other problems within the transmission.
Cracked Hydraulic Control Unit
Specifically in Jaguar’s, the ZF5HP24’s hydraulic control unit (valve body) has a tendency to crack along a portion of the casting. This causes a range of problems with the transmission’s shifting, from slipping and flaring into gear, to erratic shifting. The valve body can be repaired/replaced, however this problem should be repaired as soon as possible to avoid further damage to the transmission.
Vehicles Running the ZF5HP24 Automatic Transmission
This list should be used as a guide only, there may be exceptions (cross-over models, for example) where a vehicle on this list is not running a ZF5HP24 automatic transmission, and there may be vehicles not on the list that are.
- 1996–1997 BMW E31 840Ci M62/B44
- 1997–2001 BMW E38 740i M62/B44
- 1997–2001 BMW E38 740iL M62/B44
- 1998-2002 BMW E38 730d M57
- 1997–2003 BMW E39 540i M62/B44
- 1997–2002 Jaguar XK8 V8 4.0L
- 1998–2003 BMW E53 X5 4.4i
- 1998–2002 Jaguar XJ8 4.0 V8
- 1998–2001 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas 4.0 V8
- 1998–2001 Jaguar XJ8L 4.0 V8
- 2001–2003 BMW E53 4.6is V8
- 2002–2003 BMW Z8 Alpina 4.8 V8
- 2002–2003 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0 V8
- 2003–2005 Range Rover
- 1997–2003 Audi A8 (D2) 4.2 V8
- 2001-2002 Audi A8 (D2) 6.0 W12
- 1998–2003 Audi S8 (D2) 4.2 V8
- 1999–2004 Audi A6 (C5) 2.5 V6 TDI; 4.2 V8
- 1999–2004 Audi S6 (C5) 4.2 V8
- 2000–2003 Audi A8L (D2) 4.2 V8
- 2002–2004 Audi RS6 (C5) 4.2 biturbo V8
- 2002–present Volkswagen Phaeton (Typ 3D)